Tuesday 11 September 2012

South African "Plaat Koekies" -Flap Jacks-Crumpets


 
I remember making these as a little kid, coming home from school and having these for lunch. I’m all grown up and I still enjoy the buttery goodness of these soft scrumptious flap jacks. These are known all over by different names, in SA we call then "Plaat Koekies" or Flap Jacks and in America and the UK they known by the name Crumpets.

Once you have the basic recipe for these the options as to what to add to them is endless eg: chocolate chips, strawberries, blue berries etc.

I love mine with butter and honey, but I have also been known to add fresh strawberries to the batter and serving them with some fresh soft wiped cream.... im hungry just thinking about these..... ;)

Here is the recipe I've used ever since I could use the stove.

Ingredients:

2 Eggs
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Milk
25ml Oil
2 Cups Flour
20ml Baking Powder
2,5ml Salt

Method:

1.Beat together the eggs,sugar,oil and 1/2 of the milk.
2.Sift together the flour,baking powder and salt and add it slowly to the wet ingredients.
3.Slowly add the milk bit by bit.
4.Mix until smooth and lump free.
5. Do Not mix after this .
6. Bake in a warm pan that has either been sprayed with spray and cook or is non stick .
7. You will know its ready to turn when tiny bubbles appear on the top. Flip them and cook for a few more seconds.

I like mine as i have mentioned with some butter and honey , but try it with what ever you like ,jam,cheese,honey,strawberries and cream etc.

Happy baking xoxo

No comments: